If you are below the poverty line, you can be eligible for a SASSA Grant, and if you can repay a loan, then it might be better for you to get a loan since they are higher in amount, and you can get a lump sum amount ASAP.
The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) is a National Agency created in April 2005 to submit and distribute social grants and loans.
To decrease poverty in South Africa, SASSA loans ensure an easy way to take small loans.
Loan Application Guide Through SASSA Itself
SASSA provides a very flexible loan system if you need to borrow money. You can get from R250 to a maximum of R1000. You can easily repay it between one to six months. Applicants can also get an SASSA loan in the form of a child grant.
UPDATE: SASSA itself doesn’t provide any loans, you can apply for Shoprite or Capitec loans or apply for a SASSA Grant. Please take financial advice from a financial expert before applying for any loan.
You can easily apply for SASSA loans if you are a pensioner or taking any pensioner grant. There are a few requirements for SASSA loan applicants. You are eligible for an SASSA loan if;
- You are a South African citizen.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have a valid Identity Document.
- You are earning a consistent income.
- You have a bank account in your name.
- You receive grants from SASSA, like Old Age Pension or Disability Grants. (Do an SRD status check of your application to see if you are part of the SRD grant or not.)
While considering your application, SASSA will check your previous debts. If your debt-to-income ratio is according to their set limit, you can get the loan. The amount of loan you receive will be determined based on your current source of income.
SASSA Loan Application through USSD
If you have any disability or are old and weak, there is no need to visit the SASSA office for an application physically. You can do it with your mobile phone. If you are wondering how to apply, let me guide you step by step.
- First, dial *130*3737*1# on your phone.
- Next, enter your ID number and click on the calls button.
- Then, you will get prompts, to answer press one. they will get access to your credit check and bank statement.
- Then, for security reasons, you must provide them with the PIN you got at the ATM.
- Then enter the total amount of your monthly expenses.
- Finally, you will get to choose the particular grant or loan you are looking for. You will also know if your application was approved or declined instantly.
If this USSD code is not working or you are getting any issues, then you can dial *120*3210# or *120*69277# on your phone and follow the given prompts to get a SASSA loan through your phone.
SASSA Loan Application at SASSA Office
You can apply for SASSA loans at any of their nearest offices. Applying at a SASSA office manually ensures you will get the loan quickly. So, keep the following points in mind while applying for a loan.
- You must fill in your SASSA Application in the presence of any SASSA officer.
- Applying for SASSA is completely free.
- After submitting your application, you will get a receipt; please remember that this receipt is very important. If your application is approved, you will need to show this as evidence of your application.
- If your application is rejected, you will be informed in writing.
You can appeal this decision within 90 days of rejection. You must do a written appeal to the Minister of Social Development stating your reason for appeal.
SASSA Loans via Banks
SASSA also provides instant loans through
So, you can apply for any of these loans.
1. Shoprite Loans
Shoprite provides affordable unsecured loans. This loan has lower interest rates. To apply for this loan, visit the nearest Shoprite Office.
You can also apply for Shoprite SASSA loans by adding their number +27600123456 to your contacts and sending them a message. They will ask you some questions and answer them to proceed with your loan.
- Three months’ bank statement
- Valid Identity Document
- Proof of residence
- Pay slip (salary or wage)
2. Finbond Loans
Finbond Mutual Bank offers Finbond SASSA loan. You can choose an unsecured short-term or a long-term loan. The amount of the loan varies from R500 to R20000. This loan has fixed interest rates and does not change. You can repay it in a maximum of two years.
To apply for a Finbond SASSA loan, your age must be over 21 years. You must be a South African Citizen with your own bank account. You can apply for this loan by their website and filling out the application.
- Valid Identity Document
- Pay slips for three months
- Bank statements for the last three months
- Valid proof of your address
- Contact details (Cell phone number and email address)
- Monthly expenses documentation
3. Capitec Loans
This loan also has the lowest interest rate with monthly installments. it allows up to R250000 loan. You can also get credit insurance.
To provide easy access to people, Capitec provides an app to manage your credit.
So, to apply for this loan, open their official website and select ‘online’ in ‘ways to apply.’ In the end, fill out the form.
- Bank statement of your latest consecutive salary deposit.
- Personal information (ID documents, Name, surname, Marriage Certificate if married, Divorce order)
- Latest pay slip or salary proof.
The following article is a complete guide on Capitec Loans
Is SASSA giving R700 loans?
No, the R700 loan is a scam recently circulating on WhatsApp. So please do not fall for these schemes.
Can pensioners get SASSA loans?
Yes, pensioners can especially get SASSA loans for the betterment of their financial situation.
Can I use someone else’s bank account for SASSA money?
No, you cannot use someone else’s bank account for SASSA money. To minimize fraud and scams, SASSA requires you to use a bank account in your name.
Can SASSA borrow money?
Although SASSA offers multiple grants, if you don’t qualify for any of them you can still borrow money from SASSA using SASSA loans. To apply for SASSA loans, contact either Capitec Bank or Ithemba Bank. You can’t borrow money directly from SASSA itself.
SASSA provides easy loans with flexible installments. These loans have helped many people and are very beneficial for people in dire need of a loan. However, there are a variety of scammers scamming people in the name of SASSA. SASSA urges people to be very careful while signing up for any loan.
If you are not interested in SASSA Loans, you might want to check other loan guides,
Not just loans, we are here to help poor students, too. So, here are some of the latest bursaries that might help you.
- AKA Net Worth
- Kim Kardashian Net Worth
- Beyonce Net Worth & Salary in Rands
- Kylie Jenner Net Worth in Rands
- DJ Black Coffee Net Worth in Rands
- Drake Net Worth in Rands
- Trevor Noah Net Worth in Rands
Also, check out a biography of the SASSA CEO.