Geology is definitely a high-rewarding and reputable profession in South Africa. Here, a typical geologist earns anywhere around R52 400 on a monthly basis in the country. If you are interested in pursuing this field and want to know about the average geologist salary in South Africa, give this guide a quick read.
Geologist Salary in South Africa
An average geologist earns anywhere between R27 600 and R87 700, where the average hourly salary is around R320. However, this amount can be revised based on your individual profile. Following is a detailed analysis of what is included in the monthly salary of geologists based in South Africa.
Bonus and Incentives
The good thing about the profession is that there are almost 50% bonuses and incentives in the field. According to the surveyed staff, 47% of them get access to increments (3-6% of their original salary). These bonuses range from individual performance-based to company performance-based, goal-based, and holiday bonuses.
According to the salary distribution chart, companies determine the 25th and 75th percentile of the pay the staff is getting in a certain profession. As per the new data, 25% of entry-level geologists earn less than R42 900, whereas the other 75% of mid-career professionals earn less than R60 000.
Professional Responsibilities of a Geologist
Geologists are responsible for studying, processing, and evaluating the products and history of the earth’s physical and natural processes. Here is a list of all the tasks a geologist performs.
- Understanding the geological structures of an area and drafting field mappings for exploration purposes like mining.
- Sampling for researchers to draft new exploration techniques and plans.
- Assessing the engineering properties of the geological areas and preparing them for modifications.
- Working in laboratories to analyze and research the physical traits of the earth.
Factors that Influence Geologist Salary in South Africa
When it comes to deciding the salary of a geologist in South Africa, companies look into some parameters. These parameters range from your skill set to formal education, and duty station. Here is a complete guide on how your monthly pay as a geologist is decided.
Level of Experience
The first question any geologist asks while pursuing a field is how much your level of experience can affect your pay. And the answer to this question is considerably high. It is pretty obvious that a person with around twenty years of experience will get a really high salary as compared to those with five years, and here is how.
|Level of Experience||Salary (Per Month)||Increase (Percentage)|
|0-2 years of experience||R32 700||0%|
|2-5 years of experience||R42 000||29%|
|5-10 years of experience||R57 900||38%|
|10-15 years of experience||R71 800||24%|
|15-20 years of experience||R76 900||7%|
|Over 20 years of experience||R82 000||7%|
Geology is a highly technical field, which is why your education and qualification in the subject matter can make a huge difference in how much you get paid on a monthly basis. Naturally, a Ph.D. in geology will definitely earn more than those with a Bachelor’s degree. Here is a list of the increase in salary across different levels of education.
|Level of Education/ Qualification||Salary Per Month||Increase (Percentage)|
|Bachelor’s Degree||R38 400||0%|
|Masters Degree||R52 800||38%|
City of Employment
Some cities are geographically more relevant and significant than others, which is why there is a contrasting pay scale for geologists across different cities in South Africa. Here is a complete list of the average pay in the popular cities of the country.
|City||Salary (Per Month)|
|Pretoria, Gauteng||R52 600|
|Durban, KwaZulu Natal||R55 900|
|Johannesburg, Gauteng||R53 700|
|Cape Town, Western Cape||R58 600|
|Port Elizabeth||R50 400|
Finally, like any other professional in South Africa, men get paid more than women despite there having a similar ratio of both genders in the recruitment process. As a geologist, men are almost 7% more likely to get bonuses and incentives in their salary package as compared to their female counterparts. And here is how they are paid.
What is the average hourly salary of a geologist in South Africa?
A typical geologist based in South Africa makes anywhere around R320 on an hourly basis.
How much does a geologist make in South Africa?
An average geologist can earn anywhere around R56 200 on a monthly basis in South Africa.
Do you need a degree to become a geologist?
Yes, geology is a highly technical field for which you will need formal education on the subject matter.
For anyone interested in pursuing their profession as a geologist in South Africa, the good thing is that this field is highly reputable and full of rewards. I hope this guide has been helpful for you in determining whether this job is suitable for you.