You are here, which means you probably have already applied for admission and are here to figure out how to check the status of your application. Well, the good news is that it is pretty straightforward. There are multiple ways for this and all you need for this is a Student ID.
The WSU (Walter Sisulu University) is a renowned public-sector university, funded by the government of South Africa. This land was originally created to educate the youth coming from low-income backgrounds and has managed to spread over four campuses.
Here is a complete guide on the WSU status check and what you can do after the application for admission is approved. So, dive right in for more.
Overview of the Walter Sisulu University Status Check
If you are planning to apply for a WSU status check, here are some things you go through while applying for admission.
- Students are required to register themselves online through the WSU Student portal.
- Next, they will apply to their preferred subject using the necessary documents it requires.
- The committee will review your application based on the university’s criteria.
- Based on your individual evaluation, the admission committee at WSU will update the application status.
- After this, students will be communicated through email to check their WSU application status. At this stage, they can log in to the WSU Student Portal online and review their status check.
WSU: The Application Process for New Students
The application process at Walter Sisulu University is pretty straightforward and doesn’t include lengthy steps. The students are expected to be sincere about their past academic performance as well as other academic records in order to secure admission at the university. The review committee is looking forward to a sufficient background.
You can also consult the criteria from the official WSU website. They have a detailed account of academic grading and what is required in an application to make it stand out. Also, do make sure that it has all the necessary documents and ID available, or else, it will not meet the criteria and will result in your application getting rejected.
Once the application is secured, they can download the application letter and apply for books, financial assistance, and residence. And finally, if you have passed through all these stages, it is possible that you are overwhelmed by the excitement to start your learning journey at WSU. Congratulations.
What is WSU Status Check?
As the name suggests, the application status check at WSU allows you to view what stage your application has reached. This gives you a clear idea of your chances of admission approval. In a nutshell, it tells the students whether their application is approved, declined, under consideration, or still in the progress phase.
In 2023, if you applied for SASSA grant, then you can also check its status on SASSA Status Check page.
Who Has Access to WSU Application Status?
The status can only be checked by the South African students who had previously applied for admission at WSU. They will need log-in information (Student ID or Reference Letter), awarded to them at the time of registration. Sadly, without this information, there is no direct way you will be able to access your admission.
WSU Status Check with ID Number in 2023
Having a status check can give you a clear idea of whether your application has been approved or declined. And here is how you can check what is the status of your WSU application.
- First, visit the WSU Portal for the status check. During the registration process, you will be given a username and reference number.
- Next, log in to your account using the student ID number. You can also use the reference number to access the account. Then, click the Search button just in front of the ref number option.
- You will see a pop-up menu. From here, go to the Admission Section and modify information like the year of application. This will allow you to view and download your application status.
WSU Status Check with Index Number
Although it is not much talked about, you can use the Index number on your application for a WSU status check. So, follow these steps to check your WSU registration status check.
- Start by visiting the application portal of the WSU. From here, go to the Index Number page.
- After this, enter the index number given to you at the time of admission. This will display all the necessary information related to your admission application.
- Now, you will be able to check whether the registration is still under review, in process, or has been forwarded to the next stage.
WSU Status Check through Student Online Portal
Another way you can check your WSU application status is directly through the institution’s website. Here are some simple steps you need to follow for this method.
- Open the WSU website and click the Student Online Portal from the main menu.
- Click Login and enter your account information. You can use either the Student ID or Reference Number for login.
- Next, navigate to the status check section. This will tell you at what stage is your application. You can also download the application status from this section for later use.
What to Do After Your WSU Application Has Been Confirmed?
Congratulations if you have reached this stage. You will be overwhelmed by excitement at this moment and it is completely normal. But, it is equally important to be prepared for the next step in your application journey. And here are all the steps you need to do after you have confirmed your admission at WSU.
Download the Admission Letter
So, now that you have confirmed your WSU application status, it is time to proceed with the WSU Application Portal for students. This will help you in figuring out what to do next to ensure your admission to Walter Sisulu University. And here is how you can do it.
- Go to the application status portal and access your account using the given Reference Number and Student ID.
- This will open your admission application. Find the Admission Letter Section and click this. You will be able to see the admission letter. Download and print this letter for later use.
Apply for Financial Assistance
Once you have the admission letter in your hand, the next step is to apply for financial assistance. For this, you can opt for either funds or student loans. If you find the funds to be extremely limited, loans sound like a much better option.
- The NSFAS National Student Financial Aid Scheme is a government funding program for South African students. This is awarded particularly to low-income undergraduate students to help ease their tertiary education costs. You can either apply for it through Higher Education and Training or directly through NSFAS.
- Or else, to apply for loans, you can check the requirements and loan policy at WSU Finance online website. It will give you all the possible options for allowances and appeals. You will also require the approved letter from the university.
Apply for Residence/Hostel Accommodation
Now that you have secured some sort of funding to facilitate your academic cost at the university, it is time to apply for accommodation. Here are the basic criteria for residence application at WSU.
- The student must be taking at least three courses at the university.
- It applies on a first come, first serve basis.
- No examination (supplementary or aegrotat) is considered for room allocation.
- You must have 60% academic performance to pass the application for a double room. And the criteria is 70% for a single room.
- You need to mention the distance between your permanent residence and institution while applying for hostel accommodation.
- Every year, residence applications come between October and November. So, you will have to keep this in mind if you pass the criteria for accommodation.
Note: Go to the WSU Student Portal for WSU Status Check for Residence.
When is the WSU Student Portal Updated after Admission Registration?
The WSU portal is for students to navigate the entire application process. This portal has all the necessary information like status updates, registration forms, online application forms, and so on.
Once you are over the registration stage and your application has been forwarded for review, you will get a notification in the short term. You will get an email shortly after an update.
Note: Students are advised to check for updates every single day or every other day. This will help them not to skip any important events during the application process.
About Walter Sisulu University
WSU or Walter Sisulu University came into being in 2005 with a merger between the University of Transkei and Eastern Cape Technikon. This university was named after the renowned freedom fighter Late Walter Max Ultyate Sisulu behind the South African Liberation struggles. He was a close companion of Sir Nelson Mandela.
This government university has gained a strong position among public-sector universities, funded by the government of South Africa, particularly in the domain of rural development. The land spans over four major campuses, Komaini, Buffalo City, Mthatha, and Butterworth. All these campuses combined offer 170 academic programs for local/ national technical development research.
Contact Details for Admission Queries
- Mathatha Campus: (+27) 047 501 1404; [email protected]
- Buffalo City Campus: (+27) 043 709 4000; [email protected]
- Butterworth Campus: (+27) 047 401 6000; [email protected]
- Komani Campus: (+27) 040 842 6806; [email protected]
What documents will you need for the WSU status check?
The WSU status check is fairly easy and only requires you to have either a reference number or a student ID. With this information, you can apply for a status check through a student portal or directly through the institution.
How long does it take for WSU to reply?
It will typically take the WSU no more than a month to respond to admission status. This is because it undergoes a lengthy review process before it announces any decision. And if you don’t get any response within this time, it is wise to check the application status or email the admission department.
Will WSU accept my application for admission?
Yes, WSU will certainly accept your application for admission as long as it meets all the requirements. You also need to consider that academic brilliance can make you stand out among other applications.
Where can I check my WSU application status?
You can check the WSU application status online. This can be done through the WSU student portal or directly at the Application page on the institution’s official website.
What to do if my WSU application is approved?
The WSU will send you an email upon confirmation of your admission into the university. This means your application status at the Student Portal has been updated. All you need to do is log in to your account and download the application letter. With this letter, you can apply for financial assistance (funding or loans) and residence.
What is the meaning of the WSU status check?
The WSU application status check allows you to check at what level your application is at the moment. This gives you a basic idea of how long it will take your application to process or whether it has been declined. You can easily check it using your Student ID.
Finally, the WSU status check is the best way for students to check what are their chances of them getting into the university. It gives them a clear idea of how long it will take to pass the admission process.
All the important updates and documents are present in one place, which makes it pretty easy for students to navigate the entire admission process. Lastly, I hope you find this guide helpful and soon will get the good news of a secured admission at WSU.