An average architect earns around R42 898 per month. That said, the salary can go up to R60 000 based on your level of expertise, qualification, gender, project, and where you are based. Want to know more about architecture salaries in South Africa? Keep on reading this guide.
Architecture Salary in South Africa
An average entry-level architect in South Africa earns around R230 per hour and R42 898 per month. This automatically translates to R514 755 annually, which even goes up if you are a senior architect and have a considerable level of experience. The best part about this profession is that it has a great scope for progression, and you get promotions in no time.
|Experience||Salary (Per Month)|
|0-2 years of experience||R23 500|
|2-5 years of experience||R30 200|
|5-10 years of experience||R41 600|
|10-15 years of experience||R51 500|
|15-20 years of experience||R55 200|
|Over 20 years of experience||R58 900|
Architecture Bonus and Incentives
The good thing about the architecture profession in South Africa is that they get fringe benefits like housing allowance, medical insurance, transport, rent, direct revenue generation, and reduced tax deductions. In the last few years, there has been an increase in bonuses (around 19%) and increments for architect staff and monetary benefits.
Salary Scales for Architects in South Africa
According to the analysis of the median on the salary scale done by DHS, it would be safe to say that almost 25% of the professionals in the architecture field earn less than R30 800 per month. In contrast, this value goes up to R43 100 for the other 75%, which clearly means that it is a highly rewarding field when it comes to monetary benefits and growth.
Professional Responsibilities of an Architecture
Now the question is, what are the primary responsibilities of an architect in the country? Well, though it all comes down to the company you are working in or where you are based. Here is a list of things you are required to perform as an architect in both residential and commercial projects.
- Redesigning old buildings and extending their designs
- Working on commercial projects like convenience stores, supermarkets, malls, and shopping centers.
- Designing residential buildings
- Monitoring the building processes from start to finish
- Processing and overseeing the permissions with relevant authorities
- Discussing the project scope and building process with clients
- Incorporating mechanical, artistic, and structural elements, along with making building designs
- Evaluating projects once they are done
- Preparing documents and follow-up contracts
Factors that Influence the Architecture Salary in South Africa
There are a number of factors that contribute to the salary of architects in South Africa. This includes everything from the level of expertise to qualification, and gender. Here is a breakdown of all things that come into consideration when it comes to determining the architect’s salary in the country.
- The first thing to note here is the level of expertise an architect has. For instance, an architect with around two to five years of experience is most likely to earn 29% more than those with less experience. Similarly, architects with ten years of experience are expected to earn around R41 600 per month.
- Moreover, education or qualification is equally important when it comes to determining the salary of architects in SA. Here, an individual with a bachelor’s degree in architecture is expected to earn R29 300, whereas, with a Master’s degree, R47 000 is the base salary for architects.
- Last but not least, gender plays an important role in accounting for the salary of architects in South Africa. According to the latest stats from the DHS, men are 8% more likely to get recruited and paid at higher positions. Here, male candidates earn around R41 700 per month whereas for women, this value is R38 600.
What is the hourly wage of architects in South Africa?
The average hourly wage of architects in South Africa starts from R541 per hour. It can increase based on your level of experience and qualifications.
Can I design my house structure without an architecture degree?
Yes, you can design your own house structure and customize it to your liking. That said, if you have the budget, it is always better to get professional services.
How much do house plans cost in South Africa?
Getting an architect to create your house design for an average-size family home can cost you approximately R2500 to R4000.
How long does it take architects to draw plans in South Africa?
It can take weeks and months for architects to come up with the first design draft, based on the scale of the project. For a small project, it takes no more than four weeks to design.
Architecture is a rewarding profession for the people of South Africa, given that it has a large scope of promotions, increments, and bonuses. Similarly, the average salary is definitely a great motivation for students aspiring to get enrolled in their architecture degrees.