A person working as a project manager is responsible for managing the planning, organization, and execution of projects in an organizational setting. An average assistant project manager based in South Africa makes around R455 400 annually. Here is a complete guide on project manager & assistant salaries in South Africa for anyone who aspires to pursue this field.
Project Manager & Assistant Salary in South Africa
An average project manager in South Africa earns anywhere between R17 500 and R55 600, from lowest to highest. That said, this amount remains subject to revisions based on your level of expertise, skill set, qualification, and the organization you are based in. The median value for a project manager’s salary is around R33 300, which means half of the population earns more than this, while the other half earns less than this amount.
Project Manager and Assistant Increments
The good thing about a project manager job is that it has a lot of fringe benefits, including housing allowance, rent subsidies, transportation, and medical insurance. Not only this, it has a great reward system that motivates employees to work harder and earn bonus increments each month on top of the base salary.
Salary Sale of Project Managers in South Africa
According to the variance and medium done on the pay scale, we can determine the percentile for the project manager salary of the entire South African population. According to this, 25% of the population in the country earns less than R27 200, whereas this amount is around R38 000 for the other 75% population.
Professional Responsibilities of a Project Manager
The project manager professional is based in an office setting and mostly deals with the execution and management of projects. Here is a list of all the primary responsibilities of a project manager in a team.
- Organization, planning, and execution of a project
- Managing budgets for each project
- Scheduling and drafting a timeline for projects
- Defining goals and communicating with stakeholders
- Launching marketing campaigns
- Promoting and introducing new products
Factors that Influence the Project Manager Salary in South Africa
There are a number of things that come into consideration when it comes to determining the salary of project managers in South Africa. Here is a breakdown of all these factors, so you have a clear idea before diving into the profession.
Level of Expertise/ Experience
First of all, your level of experience matters the most when it comes to salary as a project manager. There is no doubt that people with ten years of experience will have more monetary benefits than those with five years, and so on. After every increase of five years, there is a 24% increase in the salary amount of project managers.
|0-2 years of experience||R20 700|
|2-5 years of experience||R26 600|
|5-10 years of experience||R36 700|
|10-15 years of experience||R45 500|
|15-20 years of experience||R48 800|
Similarly, your qualification or level of education also matters when it comes to determining your salary as a project manager. For instance, candidates with Masters’s degree have 26% more salary amount than those with Bachelor’s degree. Similarly, people with a diploma get 15% more pay than those with only a high school education.
|Level of Education||Salary (Per Month)|
|High School Degree||R25 900|
|Certification or Diploma||R29 700|
|Bachelor’s Degree||R40 000|
|Master’s Degree||R50 300|
Gender is yet another factor that plays a vital role in determining your salary as a project manager. For instance, male candidates are almost 8% most likely to get jobs as project managers, especially in higher positions. Though it may not appear like that, the stats show a clear distinction between the salaries of male and female project managers.
|Male Architects||R36 800|
|Female Architects||R34 100|
How much does an entry-level project manager earn in South Africa?
An entry-level project manager makes around R239 000 annually.
How much does a project manager with five years of experience earn?
A project manager assistant with an experience of two to five years is expected to earn around R319 900 per year.
Is project management a rewarding field?
Yes, project management is a high bonus-based field that allows you to earn rewards and fringe benefits, on top of your salary. Similarly, it has great incentives for promotions.
How much does a candidate with a Bachelor’s degree in project management earn?
Anyone with a bachelor’s degree in project management makes around R498 500 per year.
Project management is a versatile field with incredible scope for promotion and growth, which is why many students are aspiring to pursue this degree. Not only this, it has numerous monetary benefits for anyone just entering this field. I hope this guide has provided you with a clear idea of how much to expect while entering this field.