Studying law is one of the most demanding graduations in South Africa because after completing studies, a lawyer receives a handsome amount every month. If you are planning to pursue law graduation but are uncertain how much a lawyer earns then you should take a breath of relief because he has a sufficient salary. In my opinion, lawyers are one of the highly paid professions in South Africa.
According to different sources, the salary of a lawyer depends upon different factors such as the type of job; if he is a government servant then his salary is lower than others. On the other hand, if he is associated with a private organization then the chances are high that he earns more than average people in South Africa. Let’s narrow down all the details related to the financial conditions of the lawyers.
Lawyer Salary In South Africa
Different sources have various kinds of claims related to the salary of the lawyers but if you estimate precisely and calculate all the possibilities then you will have a figure of R42432 per month. In this amount, I have included all kinds of allowances and bonuses. But what about the private lawyers as their income depends upon multiple factors like;
- Case type
- City or location
- Client’s personal history
Basically, when you go to hire a lawyer, he charges you according to these 4 factors; let’s say a lawyer started practicing recently then the chances are you end the deal at cheap prices. But highly experienced lawyers charge R500K per hour according to their experience. The type of case also matters a lot because if the case is for stealing a purse then he will charge you less but for murder and bank robbery cases the prices are high.
Lawyers cost according to the city and location for example in bigger cities of South Africa such as Cape Town or Durban the lawyers charge more than usual but in small districts, you can hire an R100 per hour lawyer. The last thing is the client’s personal history. For instance, if a client has committed a crime in the past then the lawyer will charge more, otherwise normal rates are expected.
Anyhow, the average cost of a personal or private lawyer is R369 per hour. Estimating the monthly salary is unrealistic because private lawyers always charge according to per hour, therefore if you hire a lawyer daily for an hour for a month then you will pay him R11070.
|Type of Lawyer||Hourly Rate||Fixed Fee|
|Government lawyer||R372||Varies depending on the matter|
|Private lawyer||R369||Varies depending on the matter|
Responsibilities Of A Lawyer
A lawyer is a person who is responsible to save you from a sentence and prove your innocence. The biggest responsibility of a lawyer is to confirm that you are innocent in court and bring the truth in front of the judge. But there are also different responsibilities of a lawyer which a client requires;
- Advising Client: The first part of the case is to advise the client on how he should act in front of the court. Basically, a lawyer knows the tiny complexities that’s why he advises clients on what to do further to protect themselves from the punishment.
- Conduct Research: After hearing the entire story from the client the lawyer conducts research. This research is not involved in collecting data from legal bodies but in having a deep study of the law of South Africa. The lawyer researches how the legal experts saw a similar case in the past and now what he should do to assist his client.
- Negotiate Settlements: It is possible that your lawyer will persuade you to settle down the matter instead of taking it to court because if it goes in front of a judge, you may face a sentence. He negotiates a deal on your behalf with your competitors and discusses the terms.
What Determines The Salary Of Lawyers?
There are different factors that influence the salary of the lawyers in which the major one is the government. Basically, the government of South Africa looks after the law and justice system and determines a limit that lawyers cannot charge more than a certain amount. However, here are all factors enlisted;
- Inflation: In case there is high inflation in the country, the lawyers will charge more than the usual conditions. According to a crime theory, high inflation leads to more crime and it increases the demand for lawyers. We all know that when the demand is high, the prices are also skyrocketing.
- Government Policies: Government also decides the fees of lawyers in different ways as it has a Legal Practice Council that controls and deals with the law problems and determines the fees of lawyers.
Where do lawyers work in South Africa?
Lawyers work in different positions and places such as in court, law and justice departments, firms, and in-house legal departments.
Who controls lawyers in South Africa?
The Legal Practice Counsel (LPC) controls and deals with the problems of lawyers.
What is the difference between a lawyer and an advocate in South Africa?
A lawyer is one who is a graduate of law from a recognized university and started practice. But advocates are those who acquire an apprenticeship under a senior lawyer and pass an exam of law.
What if you can’t afford a lawyer in South Africa?
If you cannot afford a lawyer in South Africa, you can avail assistance from Legal Aid South Africa.
What is legal aid South Africa?
It is an institute that provides you with legal aid in case you cannot afford a lawyer.
A lawyer is not only one who has studied the Constitution and law books from all around the world but also one who saves you from legal punishments. He is responsible for dealing with the court on your behalf and fighting your case excellently. These lawyers also charge hundreds of rands per hour and their monthly fees are mouth opening which I have discussed above, I hope this information will help you in the future.