The UFS admissions for undergraduate and graduate studies are currently open, which means it is the best time to try your luck. The university has a total of seven faculties and three campuses from which you can choose the program of your choice.
Don’t know where to start the application? What documents do you need to apply to the UFS? Follow this detailed guide for the University of FreeState online admission. So, dive right in for more.
UFS, or the University of Free State, is one of the oldest and most reputed higher education universities in South Africa. It was established in 1904 and has three campuses, accommodating over seven faculties for undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral studies. It inhibits over 40,000 students currently, including both domestic and international students.
Currently, the university has opened its admissions for Masters and undergrad programs, and here is a quick summary of it.
The opening date for applications is July 1, 2023 (AP Access Programs at the South Campus). And it is April 1, 2023, for undergrad programs at Bloemfontein and Qwaqwa campuses.
- The deadline is August 31, 2023, for all the campuses.
- There is no application fee. And everything is online.
- Kindly note that UFS doesn’t accept late admissions.
2024 UFS Undergraduate Admissions
- All the students are required to fill in the online application form and submit all the required documents.
- Once the students have filled in the application, he/ she will get a Reference Number.
- The APS score is calculated only if the student applying has passed through the NSC, which is the official National Senior Certificate for Matriculation. If you have passed 12th grade under IEB or SACAI, you need to change your score according to NSC.
- Students writing the Cambridge examination can select the Cambridge Result score option.
- For anyone applying through 11th grade, the result is instructed to submit a hope certificate. He/ she must also provide the NSC 12th grade certificate until June.
Note: Getting a reference number by any means does not mean that you have secured admission to the university. Likewise, the university doesn’t accept the GED or General Education Development Test.
- You can consult this page to get all the necessary details regarding the undergraduate admission process at UFS.
- Moreover, click here to check out the exemptions while applying for undergraduate programs.
2024 UFS Graduate Admissions
- The process of applying for graduate studies is pretty similar to that of an undergraduate. You can check what subjects are offered for the Masters’s program at the University of Free State using this link.
- The students are instructed to apply directly through the student portal for Master and Doctoral studies. They can provide their academic (vocational and educational) qualification on this portal.
- You will get a reference number once the application is complete.
- Next, you are directed to submit all the academic documents for verification. If you are transferring from another university, please submit your official record of transcripts, diploma certificate, and certificate of conduct.
Admission Requirements for UFS
The UFS requires students to fulfill the criteria before they plan to apply at the institution. This criterion is divided into two parts, documents, and the program specifications. Here is a detailed guide into what are the criteria for a degree at UFS.
Important Documents You Need
To secure your admission at the University of Free State, you need to pass the eligibility criteria. Following are some documents you need to provide to the university.
- A nationally certified ID card. The student must have South African nationality.
- If you are applying as an international student, please provide a passport. For students below the age of 18, a parent’s ID and passport are needed.
- 11th-grade final results with a school stamp to show the proof of verification.
- Students who have already passed the Grade 12 exams must provide their NSC or IEB certificate. Once the admission is secured, you can submit it to [email protected].
- Other academic certificates, if any. Students transferring from other universities must provide a record of their transcripts and certificate of conduct.
Important Conditions to Meet
Likewise, here are some conditions upon fulfilling which can help you get a place at the university.
- A minimum of Level 4 in the language of instruction the program is in. This language can be English or Afrikaans based on the choice of program.
- The students must pass the specific school subjects with a minimum level of achievement. You can consult this according to the choice of program you are applying for.
Note: Apart from this, you must also pass all the admission requirements for the program and field of study you intend to apply.
How to Calculate Your Admission Score?
The University of Free State has its own criteria to calculate your APS score. This is divided into your standing on the NSC achievement scale and test results. They have a detailed scale of seven levels, each of which is dedicated to a certain weightage. This is then changed into a score (from 7) based on the UFS admission calculator.
|APS Score Levels (Admission Point Score)||Marks Obtained in NSC Examination (%)|
How to Apply to the UFS | A Step-by-Step Guide
Once they have completed the online application on the university portal, it is time to finish the application process. And here is a complete guide on how you can do it.
- First of all, you are required to choose the field you would like to study. For this, you can consult the Undergraduate Prospectus at the UFS official website and vice versa.
- Now that you have decided, it is time to gather all the necessary documents. All the documents you need are mentioned above. You can also consult the prospectus to double-check the requirements.
- Once you have all the documents available on your desk, click the application link and submit them.
- Confirm your mobile number and email. In case you face any query, contact the Application helpdesk at UFS: +27 51 401 9666 or email them at [email protected].
- Finally, you are done. Once you have successfully secured a position, you will get an email on 1st December communicating this news. If you do not receive any email regarding the admission, it simply means that you have not been able to secure it.
Note: Make sure the academic documents are not older than three months at the time of application.
Field of Studies
The University of Free State has a total of seven faculties to which you can apply. These departments span three campuses, including Bloemfontein, Qwaqwa, and South Campus. Here are the options of the faculties from which you can choose.
- Natural Sciences and Agriculture
- Health Sciences
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Theology and Religious Studies
Finally, here are some useful contacts for admission-related queries;
- Admission Helpdesk: +27 51 401 9666 or [email protected]
- Information Desk: +27 51 401 3000/ 2525/ 9288 or [email protected]
- Bloemfontein Campus: +27 51 401 2911 or +27 51 401 2634
- South Campus: +27 52 505 1217
- Qwaqwa Campus: +27 58 718 5460 or +27 58 718 5175
How do I check my UFS application status?
You can check the UFS application status using the university portal. Use your email address and reference number to log in to your UFS application portal. Once it is complete, go to the Check section and see whether your application status has been updated.
What is the deadline for undergraduate applications at UFS?
The deadline for both the undergraduate and Master’s degrees at the University of Free State is August 31, 2023.
What is the opening date for UFS admissions?
The opening date for applications in AP Access Programs at the South Campus is July 1, 2023. And it is April 1, 2023, for undergrad programs at Bloemfontein and Qwaqwa campuses. Kindly note that the university policy is against late admission submissions.
Can I apply to UFS without my 12th-grade NSC result?
Yes, you can apply to UFS without 12th-grade NSC results. However, for this, you will have to submit a hope certificate from the accredited university. Upon completion of admission, the university will ask you to provide an authorized version of your NSC result. You can send it to the admission desk at [email protected].
Have you always been interested in applying to a faculty at UFS? Don’t know where to start the application process? Don’t worry, and follow this detailed UFS admission guide. It has a detailed step-by-step process along with eligibility criteria and faculties. So, make sure to give it a quick read and don’t miss the deadline.