To apply for a SASSA card, you can visit the post office near your place, or submit an online application on SASSA official website. In the process, you’ll need to submit an identity card and related documents to verify yourself.
The following guide is if you are applying for the first time, if you lost the card or want to renew then this article isn’t for you.
Therefore, I have shared my information on how to apply for new SASSA card below.
How Do I Qualify For SASSA Card?
To get the new SASSA card, you need to qualify for it first.
This policy by SASSA was developed after 2012 when many fraudulent applications come on the board. More than 22 million grant beneficiaries re-registered on the new system of SASSA in 2012.
In simple words, you need to biometrically prove your identity and qualify yourself to get the new SASSA card. The identification is done based on fingerprints, personal data, voice, and more which ensures that the card is collected by the applier.
It would be right to say that qualification for a new SASSA card is the main criterion set by the SASSA organization for every individual.
In general, to apply for a new SASSA card,
- You need to hold South African nationality
- be a permanent refugee or resident of South Africa
- now the owner of the property, gold, or anything worth R 1,227,600 if you’re unmarried.
- In contrast, if you are married, you should not own more than R 2,455,400 to qualify for SASSA.
- Also, the grant that you receive from the government also has a limit of R 86,280 for unmarried individuals and R 172,560 for married individuals.
2 Methods to Apply SASSA Card Online
In a word, you need to visit the post office to apply for a new SASSA card or submit the online application on the SASSA website along with reference documents.
Let’s discuss both of these ways to apply for a new SASSA card in detail:
How To Apply it Online?
To apply for a new SASSA card online,
- You need to visit the official website of SASSA and click on the account register column from the services section.
- Now fill up the form to request a new SASSA card and enter all the required information, for example, given name, last name, identification number, and other related personal data.
- Please make sure to enter information attentively to avoid any mistakes.
- After filling up the form, write your active phone number, email address, and other contact details.
- Please make sure that you put your own contact information that is active at the moment because SASSA will reach you through the number or email address you fill in the form.
- In the end, set a password to sign in to your SASSA account every time.
Submit the application and that’s it!
You have applied for a SASSA card via online application. Please note that the process takes time, so you don’t need to rush around, sit down in peace and wait for the approval and issuance of the new SASSA card.
How To via Post Office?
You can also apply for a new SASSA card at a post office near your place.
To me, the online method is more feasible because I don’t need to travel, stand in a queue, wait for my turn in the post office, and more. That’s why I always apply for a new SASSA card online.
But when there was no online system, I used to visit the post office too for the SASSA card application, so let’s discuss this way.
- To apply for a new SASSA card physically, you need to visit the post office. (You can visit the office from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM on Monday to Friday at your convenience. The opening hours of post offices are limited to 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM on Saturdays, while on Sundays the post offices remain closed.)
- Once you visit the post office, you need to produce an ID form and you’ll receive the card in no more than minutes. Isn’t it incredible?
- Once you receive the new SASSA card, you need to choose a PIN code from the post office to activate the SASSA card.
- After activating the new card, you’re able to make purchases, transfer payments, withdraw grants, and more easily.
How Do I Withdraw Money From SASSA Card?
That’s one of the most frequently asked questions, which is why I added it to this blog. The SASSA card is no less than a bank’s debit card which operated on ATMs in South Africa.
You can withdraw cash using a SASSA card through any ATM or card machine at restaurants, shops, marts, hotels, and more. In simple words, the SASSA card is applicable similarly to the debit card.
Where Can I Use SASSA Card?
As I said earlier, the SASSA card is similar to the debit card. Basically, it can be linked to the bank card and allows cardholders to make different transactions. For example, you can buy anything from stores using a SASSA card. After buying grocery items, clothes, or anything, just swipe the SASSA card as you do with your debit card to make payment.
The best part is that there is no commission or charges applied are when you swipe the SASSA card for transactions. In this sequence, no matter how much amount is there in your SASSA account, it will be awarded to you only.
Do post offices issue SASSA cards?
Yes! You can apply for a new SASSA card at a post office near your place. For this, visit the post office, produce an ID form and you’ll receive the card. After receiving the new SASSA card, select a PIN code and activate the SASSA card.
What should I do if I lost my SASSA card?
If you have lost your SASSA card, you should visit the post office near your place and apply for a new card from there. There is no need to worry about if you have misplaced the card; just visit the office, verify yourself, and get a new card.
The Bottom Line
To sum up, everything that has been stated so far mentions that there are two ways to apply for a new SASSA card: online application and post office. If you’re not in hurry and can’t visit the post office, the online method is more feasible. However, if you can visit the post office at your convenience, it’s totally your choice.